Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Big Truths for Little Kids works for me.

I wrote about this here just the other day, but I thought I'd post about it here too.

We've just started using a fabulous new book at our house. It's called 'Big Truths for Little Kids' by Susan and Richie Hunt.

I love the idea of a methodized (catechism) way of teaching my children about our beliefs, but don't want it to be something that they just memorize and spit back by rote.

I want my girls to have a Christian worldview...to know that the way we live is because of how we believe.

This book teaches catechism questions (Who made you? God. What else did God make? God made all things. Why did God make you and all things? For His glory. etc....), but then has a practical story related to the questions. It really does a great job of translating the learning of facts to a worldview.

The target age for this book is probably 4-7, but Emily (2) loves it and I really think it could be used effectively up to like 9 or 10 as well.

And it is also TOO cute to hear Becca (17 months old) say "Ga" when you ask her "Who made you?".

For more Works for me Wednesday, go here.



Carrie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though "Works for me Wednesday" is awesome, I keep checking back to see your "Wordless Wednesday." It really is something I look forward too. Does that make me sound lame?

;)

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! With the older kids I do daily devotions and bible study but with 2 of the littles I use a biblical coloring book and young reader's Bible.
I have a link to the coloring book in my Meandering and Menu Monday post if you are interested in checking it out.